Raising Confident Readers
Friday, July 22
A Live & Online Broadcast
For Beyond 50's "Parenting" talks, listen to an interview with Dr. J. Richard Gentry. He'll explain about how to teach your child to read and write from baby to age 7. His work is based on the five stages of literacy development. You'll learn how to active and accelerate your child or grandchild's capacity for learning: the key is to introduce the right activities at the right time.
Building a Theatre in Cambodia
A Study on Tracking Emerging Trends
For Beyond 50's "Futurist" talks, listen to an interview with Dr. John H. Vanston. He will explain about Mini-Trends, which are trends that are already emerging, that promise to become significantly important within the next two to five years, but which are not widely recognized or appreciated. John is a renowned Futurist and the founder and chairman of Technology Futures, Inc. It's to show how innovators and entrepreneurs can discover and profit from business and technology trends.
How to Identify 'Minitrends':
- Follow the money. Determine who will lose money, make money or pay money as the minitrend evolves.
- Follow the leaders. Examine the objectives of people who have nontraditional visions.
- Examine limits. Evalutate how technology, finances and products limit our lives. Examples include computer batteries, credit card limits and speed limits.
- Consider human nature. Imagine how people will want to satisfy their beliefs, motivations and actions in the future.
- Take note of demographics. Examine the goals, expectations and viewpoints of different age groups and racial groups.
- Analyze frustrations. Determine how a new product or service can solve the irritations of daily life.
- Search for convergences. Identify in
- stances when technology interacts with another development.